Cliff Jumping in the Indonesian Jungle River

We went on a trip to the Green Valley and Green Canyon with DinDin's tour. We drove through little back streets past small traditional villages and rice fields on our mopeds.


All along the way little children were coming out to wave hello to us as we past by


The rice fields are mostly dried out as it is meant to be the rain season now but there is no rain in sight,  which is great for us but not so great for the farmers.

Anyhow, our first stop was in Kurr's old village where we met the national champion in puppet making. It takes him two weeks to complete a puppet and it sells for only 1 million Rp (610SEK/€61).

Puppet in the making
We got back on our mopeds and arrived in the Green Valley shortly after. We trekked through the jungle in our flipflops until we reached the caves where we handed one of our guides our shoes and clothes. We then started our walk/swim/climb down the river, jumping down waterfalls, swimming in caves and swinging on ropes. We followed DinDin's instructions carefully to ensure that we were safe and didn't hit any rocks etc.






We got to one place, by then our fifth or sixth jump where Therese and I felt that maybe we should take the walk way instead of yet another jump. But DinDin pleaded with us and so I gave in. As I stood on the edge carefully observing where DinDin instructed us to jump I turned around slightly to ask Therese to take a picture of me. As I turned I could feel my foot starting to slide and in thr corner of my eye see DinDin reaching out for me but I was too far away. So I turned back quickly to face the water and with my other foot pushed away from the rock as hard as I could so to give me a chance to aim for the spot DinDin showed us between the rocks. I made it! As I swam to the surface I could see DinDin and Therese's concerned faces turn in to smiles and laughter. Of course I climbed back up and this time around I made a slightly more gracious jump.

I made it!

We stopped for lunch in the local village (12000Rp/12SEK/€1.20) where we had a new favorite of mine Tempe, which is a bit like tofu but has a taste and texture of beef.

We then headed to the Green Canyon where we first took a little boat up the river as far as possible before starting our next climb/trekk/swim.










On our way back down the river again it was like being part of nature's own water park, sliding and jumping down waterfalls and having a great time. It was an amazing day but in the end very tiring and today the body is very sore and full of new scratches. We paid 300000 Rp (180SEK/€18) for our day of cliff jumping adventure in the jungle.

As we got back we headed out for dinner at another local restaurant for more tempe (12000 Rp/ 7SEK/€0.70). We continue the evening drinking rice wine at the hotel whilst DinDin was playing guitar and the rest of us sang along and talked until the tiredness took the best of us.

Comments

Popular Posts