Battambang

Battambang was not on my original plan so I wasn't quite sure what I wanted to explore once I got there. Luckily I met Connor who did know so I made life easy for myself and set off on a moped with him. We took a few wrong turns and all of a sudden we were heading towards Phnom Penh - not at all the correct direction. With the help of a hand drawn map and a gps we navigated ourselves through little windy dirt roads covered in potholes and finally made it to our first stop the Banan Temple.


After a hammoch hanging lunch we crossed the river and visited the fruit bats which we found with the help of some local children.

Finally, we came to Phnom Sampeau, where our poor little moped just about made it up themmountain. We stopped at the Killing Caves where a reclining buddha lies next to a glass-walled memorial filled with bones and skulls. They are the remainings of the people that were bludgeoned to death by Khmer Rouge cadres.

We explored the mountain area which had little temples scattered about and amazing views.



There were also the standard monkeys which I of course stayed a safe distance from, having learned early on the danger they can create.

Finally, as we were heading home we stopped to see the Bat cave at sunset.

Yet another great day on the road! 

Comments

Popular Posts