Canyoning in Vietnam

I had heard only good things about Dalat before I went there and everyone told me that I had to go canyoning. That was enough convincing for me and as I arrived I signed up and paid the US $38 (320 SEK/€32) for a day of adrenaline filled fun.

We were a group of 13 that set off together and after a first practice on land we set out on our first water slide with the guide's slogan "be crazy, not lazy" we were asked if we wanted to go feet or head first. I went head first as it seemed like an easy one. When we got to the second slide which looked a bit more intense I asked to go feet first to which the guide responded sit down, lean back as he pushed me down the slide head first!

Between the two slides we did our first abseiling down a dry cliff. I was the last one to go so I had built up my nerves quite a bit but it was great fun.


Next it was time for the big event of the day. Abseiling down a 25m waterfall. This time I was one of the first and I loved every moment of it. Such an amazing feeling!


After a well deserved lunch we reached the cliff jumps. I did the 7m jump but skipped the 11m one as it involved running to get enough momentum to jump over the 7m cliff stand so a definite no to that.

Finally, we arrived at the "washing machine" which was called so because once you got towards the end of the cliff you were hanging in the waterfall and if you didn't lower yourself down at a steady speed you started swinging in and out of the waterfall and towards the cliff wall. Guess who did that? Finally, as your feet touched the water at the bottom you were meant to simply let go and let the pressure from the waterfall take you out of the narrow pool of water. As you let go though the water dragged you down for a few seconds (which felt like forever) before you popped back up to the surface. It was the only one I didn't enjoy 100%.

We finished the day by walking up a steep hill which left us all beaten and ready to head back to a warm shower and home cooked meal atthe hostel. It was an amazing adrenaline filled day that I, like everyone else, would recommend anyone going to Dalat to do.

Comments

Popular Posts