Day trip to Albania


As Parga is located only an hour and half or so drive away from the Albanian border, I headed over there for a day trip. I am not quite sure what I expected from it, but I left feeling very impressed and I thoroughly enjoyed the day.

We stopped at Butrint National Park which is an archaeological site dating back to the 4th century BC. According to mythology, Buthrotum was founded by exiles fleeing the fall of Troy. The name Butrotum means “wounded ox” and it is said that on arrival, Priam’s son Helenus sacrificed an ox, which struggled ashore wounded and died on the beach, this was taken as a good omen and therefore named thereafter.
However, the ruins of this city are not just from the 4th century BC, but represent in the phases of its development, the fall and rise of the great empires that dominated the region throughout time. The ruins were first discovered by Luigi Maria Ugolini in 1928, when the first modern archaeological mission started. Unfortunately, it is believed that a lot of small archaeological findings went missing as the focus was to uncover the grand public monuments. As our guide pointed out, you can’t enter an archaeological site with a shovel but have to explore the site with a toothbrush, gently examining each minor finding.

The visit to Butrint was amazing and I really recommend it as it is something that I had never expected to see. If I were to return to Albania, this is what I would want to see more of, the history and the culture.

For us, our next stop was in the resort of Saranda, a purpose built resort with very little character and culture, instead it was full of high rise hotels overlooking a big stretch of beach, which in my opinion could have been any resort in the world. It is a shame that a country that obviously has so much culture and history to offer think that the way to gain tourism is by constructing these cities. But I suppose, there are people loving these resorts just as much as there are people like myself that prefer the real deal.

The resort of Saranda
Perhaps that’s why I have fallen head over heels in love with Parga, even though there is a big focus on tourism it still has the charm and character in the Old Town, the people are genuine and the tavernas and hotels are all family owned, giving you a feeling that you are being invited to their home.


Anyhow, back to Albania, would I visit again? At first I thought no, as I was told that Butrint was the only major site to visit in the south. But then again, the north is meant to have a different feel and have more to explore so yes, I would go back but this time I would go to the north to explore what they have to offer and if it is anything like Butrint then I will be another amazing trip! 

Comments

Popular Posts