The River of Immortality

One of the best days out I have had since I arrived in Parga has easily been the trip to the River Acheron. It has been made famous as according to the Greek legend this is where Achilles mother’s dipped him in the water of immortality. As she did so she held on to his ankle, making his heel, hence the name Achilles’ heel, the only mortal part of his body.
The river has crystal clear blue water but strong currents. The majority of the river you can trek but at some points the water gets to deep and you have to swim to make it up the river. At one point I got too far in to the current and I literally swam and swam without even moving. I relaxed and let the current take me back to where I could rest and on the second attempt I made it through! Me against the river and I won!


If swimming does not take your fancy than there are also opportunities to go horseback riding along the river or why not try rafting, though in both cases, if you are unlucky, you might still end up in the water! Personally, I think that a visit to the river is a must, even if swimming is not your strong suit, it is simply a breath taking environment to enjoy a short walk or just a relaxing lunch enjoying some genuine Greek cuisine. 

Comments

Popular Posts