Welcome to Greece!

On Thursday 23 April 2015 I got on a plane and moved to Greece and more specifically Parga to work here over the summer. This is an extract from my diary on that day:


“Today has probably been one of the oddest days of my life so far. I got on an island hopping propeller plane from Zante, stopping in Kefalonia before arriving in Preveza, which is one of the smallest international airports I’ve ever seen. I got in a car, on my own for the first time, and drove the hour and a bit drive to Parga. I am pretty sure that I was the only one that followed the speed limit as every single car and lorry drove past me. I hadn’t figured out how to work the AC or the radio so there I was sweating away in the sun whilst talking and singing to myself all whilst driving through the amazing scenery of the Preveza region.
Up and down and through the curvy mountain roads, carefully watching out for any cows, dogs or cats jumping out on to the road. Or even just making way for the tractor that had decided to park in the middle of the road, in the middle of a Greek mountain side. Today might just have been one of the most absurd travel days of my life so far.”

That’s how I started my Greek adventure, 6 weeks ago. I no longer follow the speed limits because a) everyone started calling me the snail and b) I am getting used to the bends and ups and downs of the roads now. I have managed to work out the AC (or my manager did when she came to visit about three weeks ago) and I now have a AUX cable connected to my phone so I can sing along to ABBA, Frozen and all my other classic driving music. 



Comments

Popular Posts