My Christmas haven

After a rough few days in Malaysia I decided to spend Christmas Eve travelling from Langkawi to Koh Lanta in Thailand. I crossed over from Langkawi at 9am which I paid 30 MYR (60 SEK/€6). As I arrived in Thailand and the port of Satun people were there offering you to take you to any of the popular south Thailand destinations. I paid 750 THB (176 SEK/ €18) for first a small jeepney to take us from the port to Satun bus station where I then got on a mini bus to Trang, in Trang I had to wait for 2 hours before the next minibus to take us the last part of the journey to Koh Lanta. As we were crossing on the ferry we watched an amazing sunset.


As I arrived at the hostel, Wishing Well, which I paid 200 THB (50 SEK/€5) per night for, I met some fellow backpackers. We ended up spending Christmas Eve in another hostel called Peacock, just across from my hostel, after having dinner at the local night market.


The next day I started off on the beach,  turning my skin in to a crispy Christmas red.


In the evening we watched the sunset before we all went out for dinner and some drinks.



On Boxing day a lot of people left but me and two of the remaining backpackers got scooters out for the day. We drove down to the south part of the island where we stopped for lunch at a place with amazing views.



After lunch we continued back up to Old Town. There's not much there but some restaurants and shops.



We stopped at a beach just south of Long Beach for about an hour (my already burnt skin couldn't handle it anymore.

In the evening we chilled out at the hostel with some drinks when one of the Canadian guysdecides that we should write a poem and put in the empty whisky flask. We wrote a few versus riming about gloves from above and Koh Lanta. But instead of putting it in the ocean we decide to simply pass it on to a fellow traveller in a different country in the hope that the poem will continue with more places being added as it travels around.

The next morning I had signed up to dive with a Scandinavian dive shop called Lanta Divers, I paid 4700 THB (1110 SEK/ €111) for a day tour out to Koh Haa with 3 dives, all equipment,  breakfast, lunch and snacks. It was really great to be back in the water again. The diving was better than in Brunei but not quite as spectacular as in the Philippines.
















Unfortunately it wasn't just fun and games. We saw some corals that had been completely destroyed at one of the dive sites. The pictures are of only one of many corals that have been destroyed by a fin kick.


But the views from the boatwwasn't simply amazing. This will most likely be my last dive on this trip so I'm glad I managed to beat my cold and enjoy life in the sea one more time. Today a 15 hour journey to Bangkok awaits me!




Comments

Popular Posts